Friday 3 February 2012

Script: Red

It's been a while, I know. Here is a script I wrote for an assignment. It was praised quite highly and i've finished making some final edits. If you like it, recommend it to someone! If you've got a comment on it, please Tweet/Facebook/Text me as i've not set up this thing to alert me to comments. This script deals with some mature issues and has profanity from the outset so, if you're easily offended, it might not be for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RED, by Tajinder Sandhu

1. EXT. DRIVEWAY – NIGHT

DRIVER (V.O)
You find yerself alone, the only light in your life the glow o’the t.v left on in the night. Life has its ways of playing with you though… Just when you think it’ll let you die in peace…

DRIVER, a man of 42 who looks ten years older than he is, kneels motionless in a drive way, illuminated by the light spilling out of the front door. Sirens are wailing in the distance.

FADE TO WHITE.

DRIVER (V.O)
Life has its way of complicating things.



2. EXT. FRONT DOOR – NIGHT

RED, a young girl of 21 whose natural blonde hair is dyed red, slams the front door shut and tries to lock the door. She drops the keys and fumbles when she tries to pick them up, her hair gets in her eyes. She kicks the door and jams the key into the lock. She walks down towards the gate gingerly, a limp in her step.


3. INT. TAXI – NIGHT

DRIVER (V.O)
I told my wife this was going to be temporary. I’d get a bit o’extra cash for Christmas. It’s funny ‘ow much has changed since then, ‘cept this taxi.

DRIVER is leaning back in his seat yawning, he glances at the time (3:34am). The door opens and RED gets into the taxi. DRIVER leans forward and mumbles something into his dispatch radio and starts the car up. The radio is humming in the background, cutting in and out due to a bad antenna.

DRIVER
Wher’ya off ta, love?

RED stares out of the window and doesn’t answer.

DRIVER
Wher’ya off t-

RED
Westridge Drive, Beaumont Park

DRIVER nods and begins to head towards the destination.

DRIVER (into the dispatch radio)
Thirteen to Beaumont Park.

The radio cuts out for good. He tries to fiddle with it but it won’t come back on. He looks through the rear view mirror at his passenger. RED is staring out of the window, her eyes bloodshot and her complexion pale.

DRIVER
Ery’thin alrigh’ love?

RED ignores him again; she reaches into a bag and begins to look for something, growing more frantic as the search continues.

DRIVER
Bit late to be out an-

RED
Just drive the fucking taxi.

DRIVER
Sorry, I wa’ jus’ askin’

RED
Sure you were…

DRIVER
Look, I wa’ jus’ worried is all.

RED
And who are you to be worried about me? I don’t know you. Why would I want to know an old perv’ like you?

RED leans forward and looks towards the gear stick.

RED
Why am I not surprised? No wedding ring.

DRIVER continues driving for a few moments.

DRIVER (mumbling to himself)
Bollocks to this.

DRIVER pulls the taxi over and turns off the engine.

DRIVER
Get out.

RED doesn’t move. She looks up at the roof of the car. DRIVER looks through the rear view mirror and sees red marks around her neck.

DRIVER
Dya’ ‘ear me Red? Get out. There’s no charge.

The radio scratches in for a few brief moments and then dies again.

RED
I’m sorry, I didn’t… I just need to get to…

DRIVER
Wha’ part’a get out don’t you get? There’s no charge. Call another taxi, walk – I don't care.

RED
Don’t do this to me, not now.

DRIVER (turning around)
You’ve got five seconds before I-

RED pulls a gun out of her bag and presses it against DRIVER’S lips. DRIVER’S eyes widen in shock, his body becomes rigid, as gasp of shock escapes his lips.

RED
Or what? Take the headrest out.

DRIVER pulls the headrest off of the seat, his hands shaking, he stares at her for further instruction.

RED
Now turn around and drive.

FADE TO BLACK.


4. INT. TAXI – NIGHT.

The radio cuts in and out until eventually it remains on, the signal weak.

DRIVER (V.O)
Like I said, life has its ways. She came in smellin’ o’ roses and lookin’ like hell, I couldn’t help myself… more fool me.

FADE IN.

RED has the gun pressed against DRIVER’S skull as he drives.

RED
You have to understand I wouldn't do this if I had a choice...

DRIVER
Right…

DRIVER changes gear, as he brings his hand back up the steering wheel he knocks the dispatch radio into his knees. He holds the button on the side down in between his legs. The red light on the receiver flickers on.

DRIVER
So, what’s yer story Red? Thief? Murderer? Lunatic? C’mon we’re a little past passenger and driver now...

RED
Stop talking.

RED leans forward again, keeping the gun pointed at DRIVER. She pulls the wire out of the receiver, the red light flickers off, as does the sound from the radio.

RED (leaning back)
Nice try.

DRIVER
Can’t blame me, can ya?

RED
Why couldn't you just drive? You had to go ahead and open your gob and complicate things. This is real simple; drive and you’ll be fine. This gun isn't meant for you.

DRIVER changes gear again, with a little more force than is necessary. They continue to drive in a prickly silence when RED begins to cough violently. The gun lowers as she covers her mouth with her free hand, blood covering her pale skin.

DRIVER
Y’alrigh’ back there?

RED rolls down to the window, gasping for air, covering the door with her blood. The fresh air helps.

RED
I’m fine… just … keep going…

DRIVER
Wha’ the hell is going on here!?

RED
Why the hell do you care? It’s nothing to do with you.

DRIVER
Got ever’thin’ to do with me now love...

RED
Just hurry up, I need to… my son, he took him away from me!

DRIVER
And you need a gun to get him back?! D’ya even know how to use tha’ thing?

RED takes the gun away from DRIVER’S head, points it at the front passenger side window. She turns away and fires. The window shatters, DRIVER yelps in shock. The car veers out of control for a few seconds.

DRIVER
The fuck you doin’?!

RED
DRIVE!

DRIVER slams his fist into the steering wheel and thumps the car into gear.

FADE TO BLACK.


5. INT. TAXI – NIGHT

The radio continues to cut in and out.

FADE IN.

RED
Can’t you turn that off?

DRIVER
Tried, trust me.

DRIVER is complying with RED’S demands. RED is sat behind him with the gun pressed against his skull, taking deep breaths. Inhaling through her nose and exhaling out of her mouth. DRIVER reaches into his pocket. 

RED
Stop, what are you doing?

DRIVER
Relax, Red.

DRIVER’S phone tumbles out and rolls under the seat as he pulls out a cigarette packet and a lighter. He slides one into his mouth and lights it, inhaling deeply.

DRIVER (offering box)
You smoke?

RED
Smoking kills.

DRIVER
So does driving taxis apparently. You sound like my ex wife… just my bloody luck. (Mumbling to himself) Last fare of the night, son’ova bitch…

RED
You were married?

DRIVER
Oh now you wanna’ talk?

DRIVER flicks ash towards the shattered window.

DRIVER
Yeah, I wa’ married. We wa’ young, prolly round your age. Young an’ daft. Got a son too.

RED
What happened?

DRIVER
Some arsehole. She always said I needed somethin’ to fix, a bed, a light, whatever… I couldn’t fix my marriage though. He was a company executive… I was an “ol’ pervy” taxi driver. Din’t handle it well.

The radio flickers on, MUSIC (Shark Water by Projected Twin) begins to play.

RED
What did you do? Hit him or something?

DRIVER
Threw ‘im into a lake. At their wedding. (laughing) He didn’t get his deposit back on that suit.

RED laughs, DRIVER watches her through the rear view mirror smiling.

DRIVER (V.O)
She looked good when she laughed. Compliment her I told myself… Say something nice, say she’s thin…

DRIVER clears his throat, preparing himself.

DRIVER
You er… look… malnourished… I mean like, not sick but… just… thin… you look good is wha’ I meant.

DRIVER (V.O)
Idiot. Grade A idiot.

RED laughs harder and leans forward, reaching for the cigarette box on the passenger seat, she takes one and lights it.

DRIVER
Wha’ happened to smokin’ kills Red

RED
I’ll risk it. If that was the extent of your chat up lines no wonder you’re divorced!

RED laughs again, DRIVER joins her but not for the same reasons.

DRIVER
What’s your name?

RED hesitates for a moment, smiling before answering.

RED
I like Red. Yours?

DRIVER
Guess I’m Driver then. Well Red, tha’ all happened a long time ago. So long ago infac’ tha’ I don’t remember what she looks like… or my son. That’s anger fer ya.

RED
Not the same for me. It won’t get any worse than it is now for me.

DRIVER
Things always get worse. I failed him see, he’d be ‘bout your age and I couldn’t recognise him on the street. You a big film fan?

RED
Not really.

DRIVER
My favourite is Leon. Seen it?

RED nods, DRIVER sees it through the rear view mirror. He almost misses the traffic light turning red watching her.

RED
Is that what you think is happening here?
DRIVER
Sorta’ is. Two strangers, forced into a situation… helpin’ each other… Now if we go by the US version, they’re just friends. The one released in Europe though, Mathilda falls in love with Leon… we can be friends, ya know.

RED
Don’t. This is something else you can’t fix.

DRIVER
Gotta try though, righ?

RED hesitates for a moment, glancing out of the window.

RED
Pull over a second, I feel sick.

DRIVER pulls the car over, RED scrambles out of the backseat and takes a gasp of air. She doubles over as if she is about the throw up. Inside the car DRIVER stares at the ignition for a moment. He glances out the shattered window towards RED and then back at the ignition before finally shaking his head he cuts out the engine and exits. 


6. EXT. PAVEMENT – NIGHT

DRIVER walks over to RED who is doubled over trying to throw up; the gun is still in her hands.

DRIVER
You ok Red? Want me to get you something to drink or-

RED
No, I’m fine…

RED leans against the car and takes deep breaths. DRIVER watches her carefully and eventually does the same, they both stand there gazing over a large field, the sun begins to peak up over the horizon.

RED
His name is Wayne. My mum met him when I was thirteen. He was so nice to me at first, he used to take me out shopping and buy me things. He gave me a mobile phone even though mum didn’t want me to have one. We’d play you know, sort of wrestle, he’d tickle me and try and pick me up. It felt nice, felt like I had a father again. Things changed between us, but it didn’t feel wrong at first. He told me he loved me, I didn’t see anything wrong with the odd kiss here and there but it didn’t stop there. Mum didn’t believe me when I told her what he used to do to me. She said I was making it up to try and break up their marriage but she didn’t understand he used to hurt me. I left when I was eighteen, didn’t speak to mum for years until a few months ago when Wayne found me. He said he found out that I’d told mum what was happening; he was going to shut me up for good.

RED looks away, brushing away a tear.

RED
I knew what he wanted, this time I said no. That didn’t stop him though. I just felt so powerless while he was doing it…

RED looks down at her hands, the skin along her forearms has peeled away in places, she smirks.

DRIVER
I – er

RED
You wanted to know right? The worst time was when I found out I was pregnant. I didn’t know what to do. I rang my mum up for the first time in three years and told her, told her all about the check up and that it was a boy, part of me hoped  she might be happy...

Tears well up in RED’S eyes but she doesn’t cry.

RED
He beat me, he punched me in the stomach over and over again, I screamed stop and begged him to let go but he kept hitting me and hitting me, he threatened me with a gun. I thought I was going to die. I was bleeding so much, I didn’t know what to do, I was so angry, I screamed until my throat sore. I took something for the pain and dragged myself to my feet. He’d left the gun on the table.

RED gestures with the weapon, a smirk on her sad face.

RED
More fool him. I’ll walk from here, it’s not far.

RED turns to leave.

DRIVER
No you won’t, get in the car. I can’t just leave you know.

DRIVER (V.O)
I could have left her, I should have. But I wa’ in way over mi’head. Half my age, half in love. Idiot.


7. INT. TAXI – NIGHT.

DRIVER and RED get back into the taxi. DRIVER starts the car and begins to head towards the destination, both of them in total silence.

DRIVER
Ya’ need to think about this Red, murder isn’t something you can get away with. Think about it. I know how angry you must be feeling righ’, don’t get me wrong, but you’ll end up in jail.

DRIVER stops at a red light. RED fumbles around in her back and pulls something out. A plastic bottle bounces off DRIVER’s head and lands on the passenger seat. DRIVER looks down and see’s the Ibuprofen label.

DRIVER
You din’t tek them all didya?

RED
Enough to give me the time I needed. There is no getting away with murder, Mathilda dies at the end of this one.

DRIVER turns into Beaumont Park Road and begins to turn the car around.

DRIVER
We’re going to the hospital.

RED cocks the barrel of the gun, loading a bullet into the chamber. The radio begins to cut in and out again.

RED
Keep going.

DRIVER (turning around)
I’m not goin’ any further, love. Either you come with me or you fuckin’ shoot me!

RED stares at DRIVER for a moment before shaking her head and scrambling out of the car. DRIVER is shaking; he turns back into his seat and grabs another cigarette. He struggles to light.

The sound of the radio cutting in and out begins to irritate him. He hits the panel, it stops. He watches RED turn into Westridge Drive.

DRIVER (V.O)
Turn around you old fool, it’s not worth it. She doesn’t feel the same way. She’s half your age, just a child…

He puts the car in reverse and turns around, heading back down the hill. At the red light he looks around at the taxi and stares at the Ibuprofen bottle again.

DRIVER
Fuck sake

He turns the car around and heads towards Westridge Drive.


8. EXT. WESTRIDGE DRIVE – NIGHT

RED stumbles into a gate and staggers into the drive way. We hear a car screech around the corner, the headlight illuminating the street.

CUT TO.

DRIVER speeds up the street looking for the right house. He notices a door open, the light from the house sticking out in the darkness.

He turns the car around and dumps it on the side of the road before scrambling out of the taxi. He runs towards the gate and notices blood on it.

Ahead, RED is on her knees screaming. WAYNE is stood over her. Blood on his hands.

DRIVER
Get away from ‘er!

WAYNE steps over RED and heads DRIVER off. They fight.

WAYNE throws DRIVER to the ground; DRIVER’s head hits the concrete step. Blood begins to pour from a wound. WAYNE stands over DRIVER, he raises his boot – 

RED
Wayne!

A gunshot echoes in the empty street. WAYNE staggers back and falls to the ground, squirming and screaming.
DRIVER crawls over to RED who has fallen into the side of the house. He brushes the hair out of her face, it is matted with blood.

DRIVER
Hold on, I’ll call an ambulance.

DRIVER reaches into his pockets, the phone is in the taxi. RED coughs up more blood and gasps for air.

RED
You… came back?

DRIVER
Like I said, we’re a lil’ more than driver and passenger now. C’mon, we’ll get you to an ambulance…

RED
He would have been such a beautiful boy…

RED begins to nod her head slowly.

RED
You fixed the radio. Turn it up; this is my… favourite song…

RED’s body becomes lifeless; DRIVER looks around at the mess and picks up the gun beside her body.

Sirens are wailing in the background, not music.

DRIVER runs back to the taxi and pulls out his phone from under the seat. He dials 999.

DRIVER (V.O)
I called the ambulance. They asked forra name. I didn’t know it, I knew nothing about her but… that didn’t matter…

DRIVER hangs up and places the phone, with much difficulty, into his pocket. He slowly staggers back RED and takes her hand. He begins to talk to her as if she is still alive. The V.O overlaying the scenes.

DRIVER (V.O)
I tell myself that she… made me feel something. After years of dinners for one, falling asleep on the sofa, feeling anything was… well… a bloody miracle. She gave me hope in a life time of despair… or that’s what I tell myself. I’m just the idiot, half in love with a girl half his age.



9. INT. LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

DRIVER is seen bent over his coffee table, a frame in his hand. He is repainting the faded purple frame a bright crimson colour. Beside the back is a picture of a young woman and a baby boy.


CUT TO BLACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment